Thread: A question for those that load .300 Blackout

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

A question for those that load .300 Blackout

I have recently assembled an AR in .300 BLK and will be loading up rounds as soon as I get dies and other components. However, I have a question about which primers to use. In my Hornady manual they use Winchester Small Rifle primers. I assume, then, using standard small rifle primers is fine. Or, should I use CCI #41 primers exclusively? Anybody have slam fire problems with handloaded .300 BLK ammunition using standard small rifle primers? FYI, I have a standard A2 buffer spring in my AR and Hornady used a Smith & Wesson AR-15 for testing their loads (not a "universal receiver").

Ed
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 07-10-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've loaded a fair amount of 300blk with CCI small rifle primers (#400 I think) and haven't had a single issue with them. They all go bang when I pull the trigger and don't go bang when I don't

Btw, my preferred load is 15.7gr H110 under a 150gr FMJBT. The rifle is a standard carbine buffer, mil spec bolt carrier, 16" stainless faxon firearms barrel (1:8 twist) with carbine length gas system. The absolute only issue I've had is it doesn't lock the bolt back on the last shot when firing subsonics without a suppressor. Haven't shot it with a suppressor yet as I'm still paying off the rifle... Damn credit cards...
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 07-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I haven't had any luck finding H110. I heard that Winchester 296 is the same thing, but I haven't yet confirmed this.

What dies are you using?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just a lee 3 die set, when forming from 223 I'll strike them 2-3 times just to make sure they're formed right. WW296 is similar in load data to H110.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I have no problems. I use 296, H110, H108 and WC820 except for the suppressed loads which I use AA1680. I use CCI small rifle magnum primers. I was using standard CCI small rifle but I had a load that it just would not ignite uniformly and when I went to the magnum the issue went away. Mine is a 16 inch carbine with carbine length gas tube, 1/7 barrel to turn those really heavy bullets. Do you need some formed brass? David

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Made it to a small gun show yesterday, and walked out with an upper I didn't need in 300 blackout. Guess I need to start paying closer attention to these threads. I will say this, the off the shelf ammo is not cheap, and should make reloading a better option. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to update what brass I am looking for.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    Do you need some formed brass? David
    I don't need any at the moment, but I'll keep you in mind should I need some in the future.

Thanks,

Ed

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I've heard from a few others that www.carolinabrass.net makes some good 300aac brass. I haven't ordered from them myself, but might if I have need for a few hundred empties.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Get your 300 blackout brass from GRUMPA at castboolits:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I have tried BLC(2) for loading some test 300 blackouts, but they didn't make enough gas to cycle the gun properly. I'll be trying H110 soon.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I've heard from a few others that www.carolinabrass.net makes some good 300aac brass. I haven't ordered from them myself, but might if I have need for a few hundred empties.
    I wish I could charge that much and feel good about it......

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just make my own from the 223 I generate/pick up at the range... Usually 30-90 per trip. I can buy once-fired 223 locally for $6/100. So basically one rifle feeds the other.

On a side note, I am starting to get a bit low on loaded 223 ammo

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Sounds like when I make 9mm Mak from 9mm Luger brass. Or 8mm Mauser from 30.06 or .270.