Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading for an M1 garand

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Loading for an M1 garand

I have some 30-06 that I was thinking of loading up for an M1 garand (for a family member). I know that they are functionally similar to an M1a/M14, which are somewhat powder sensitive, so are they powder sensitive as well?

I have some winchester 760 and load data for 150gr and 168gr bullets, is it safe to shoot this in a garand? And also, are federal primers safe for use in the same rifle (slam fires, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Hornady manual has a separate section for M1 Garand load data. Supposedly factory loads can be too hot and when fired can result in a bent operating rod. This has never happened to me, but did happen to a friend mine. Hornady doesn't show WIN 760 in their Garand section, but do in the standard 30-06 section.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I might have to break down and buy one of the hornady manuals...

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been trading for 30-06 brass in preparation for M1 Garand I have coming from the CMP. The garand is very pressure sensitive and only certain powders are recommended for it IMR and H 4895, IMR 4064, Varget, etc. W760 burns to slowly for the garand and is not recommended unless the individual has an adjustable gas plug. Just what I have learned over the past few months. Do a quick internet search and you will find a bunch of information. The cMP has a forum dedicated to reloading as well.

Dan

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been trading for 30-06 brass in preparation for M1 Garand I have coming from the CMP. The garand is very pressure sensitive and only certain powders are recommended for it IMR and H 4895, IMR 4064, Varget, etc. W760 burns to slowly for the garand and is not recommended unless the individual has an adjustable gas plug. Just what I have learned over the past few months. Do a quick internet search and you will find a bunch of information. The cMP has a forum dedicated to reloading as well.

Dan

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    How about primers, is it safe to use federal primers in a grand/m1a? I've heard they're softer than CCI and winchester primers and I'm concerned about slam fires.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Dan is right. The pressure curve of the 760 will probably bend your OP rod. David

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I understand your concern about slam fires. I too am concerned with them. I have heard the federal primers are too soft as well and thT winchester or cci should be used instead. I am using WLR primers and I have considered the CCI #34 military primers. I'm hoping my M1 garand shows up this week so I can try my reloads and let u know.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I reload for my Garands, but I do have the Hornady manual and use the M1 section recipes. I also bought a lot of that Greek Surplus ammo so I have lots of cases to reload.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    I reload for my Garands, but I do have the Hornady manual and use the M1 section recipes. I also bought a lot of that Greek Surplus ammo so I have lots of cases to reload.
    What primers do you use?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Normally, Wolf large rifle, but Obozo caused the great primer die off. Last I got were some S&B large rifle primers.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Ahh, if I ever come across some 4064 I'll try out federal primers on 20 or so and tell him to keep an eye out for slam fires. I load all of my personal 308 for a bolt action, so I don't have to worry about such things... Unless something is really wrong...

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I can scan the M1 section of my Hornady manual and email it to you, if you want. I have the 9th edition, which is the latest, I believe.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I can scan the M1 section of my Hornady manual and email it to you, if you want. I have the 9th edition, which is the latest, I believe.
    Certainly, I'll PM you my email address. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post

Yeah, mine's the 8th. I was thinking maybe my Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition had a separate M1 section, but it doesn't.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have loaded several rounds with the hornady info. I learned today I should have my Garand by the end of the week so I should be able to provide some info on my reloads.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Reminds me of when I finally got into a CMP affiliated program and got my M1 for $525 instead of the usual 1 grand in an auction place. Now I still need the carbine.

And an M14!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Gandog,

I think they are going to sell some carbines in the future. They just sold some IHC Garands recently and some more are coming in November then the carbines after that.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostile79 View Post
    Gandog,

I think they are going to sell some carbines in the future.
    Doh, I would be sorely tempted. But then I would have to get all the .30 carbine reloading stuff, too.

Anyways my regular load for a Garand is 45 grains of H4895 and a 150 grain jacketed pill.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 for the 4895. I cast lead bullets and have used them with 2400 powder. With a light load of pistol powder it is easy on your op rod, no leading and you don't have to chase your brass. It does not cycle, but that is easy to do by hand. Great paper punching and a bargain to shoot. Also easy on your rifle brass. Really reduces the stress on your brass and little to no resizing.