Thread: Subsonic 223rem

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Subsonic 223rem

Anyone have a good working subsonic load for 223rem using 69gr matchkings?
    They're going to be shot from an AR with an 8" twist, anyone know if they will stabilize at subsonic velocities?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Very nice, thanks. Now to measure the bullets when they get here

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Well, according to the chart I would have to load them to 1800fps to properly stabilize them in an 8" twist barrel... Since I'm not going to change the barrel I'll just get some 55s...

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I have to ask you, why do you want to go subsonic. You got a silencer an the gun or something?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Not yet, but hopefully sometime soon.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    One question that occurred to me, is stability based more on projectile length than weight? Saying that in theory a short heavy bullet is easier to stabilize than a long light bullet? Just a thought...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The stability is based on length vs caliber (in theory), but lenght tends to controle lenght. You could make a short heavy bullet, but it would need a metal that is heavyer than lead. I guess you could change the profile of the bullet. Make it more like a wad cutter. It would have more drag, and louse energy faster, but if you are trying to go subsonic, you should be working closer anyhow. I think as a rule, you would be happier putting a can on something a bit larger, in 30 cal range or so.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It's going to by a 30cal can on a 223 for now, the final intent is that it will go on a 300aac SBR... The flash suppressors I use are quick disconnects for the can I'm looking at, but they're actually fantastic about minimizing flash, if you haven't looked into the smith enterprise vortex I'd recommend doing so. Not the greatest for reducing muzzle climb though as it's not a directional brake.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Btw, gandog, do you happen to have any nickel 308win that you're willing to part with?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Never had a .308, and just traded away the few brass cases I picked at at the range.

Was thinking once of buying a Saiga in .308. That would have been pretty cool. An AK type action firing a .308 Nato round.

Midwayusa has new remington nickel plated brass in .308, and it even is in stock. You can buy some there if nobody here has any.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...308-winchester
    Last edited by gandog56; 10-01-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It's all showing out of stock in nickel, I have a local guy that can get my all of the FC brass I want, I might see if he happens to have any in nickel