Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Brown brass"

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
    Based on what I have read, I try to put a pound each of ss media, brass, and water in each drum.
    This is what I read elsewhere, too.

gandog, do you use any Dawn dish detergent or just water and Lemi-Shine?

Ed

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Dawn and Lemi-shine. I have a 15 pound drum, use a gallon of water, 5 lbs. of media. And not a whole lot of Dawn, and like 1/2 tablespoon of Lemi-shine

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So, is this the original, dry Lemi-Shine? I picked some up, but want to make sure before I use it. I checked the ingredients and it seemed pretty simple (i.e. not harmful to brass), just "real fruit acids and natural citrus oils."

Ed

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Based on what I have read, I try to put a pound each of ss media, brass, and water in each drum. I add a bit of dish soap and lemi-shine. I have played with the run time, and two hours looks about as good as it gets, even with some very dirty range brass. Then I set it out to dry over night. This is afer a quick run in the walnut and then decap and resize. The run in the walnut is more to protect my dies than anything else. BTW, I go my media at midway, but at only using two pounds, I think I would have been better off to use the link that gandog had for a two pound pack.

Whoa, I decap FIRST, then run through the rotary. I like the nice shiny non sooty primer pockets. I decap the dirty brass with a Lee universal decapping die so I don't scratch up my sizing dies.

I have the Thumler's B model with a 15 pound drum, so I use 5 pounds of media, 5 pounds of brass, and a gallon of water. 1/2 tablespoon of Lemi-shine and a squirt of Dawn.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Whoa, I decap FIRST, then run through the rotary. I like the nice shiny non sooty primer pockets. I decap the dirty brass with a Lee universal decapping die so I don't scratch up my sizing dies.

I have the Thumler's B model with a 15 pound drum, so I use 5 pounds of media, 5 pounds of brass, and a gallon of water. 1/2 tablespoon of Lemi-shine and a squirt of Dawn.
    For if I ever get a rotary tumbler, can you effectively run smaller loads through it if you want to?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just toss them into the walnut media for a bit, resize, then into the ss.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    For if I ever get a rotary tumbler, can you effectively run smaller loads through it if you want to?
    Looks good to me. I have ran just a few with good results. May have to try just one.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I just toss them into the walnut media for a bit, resize, then into the ss.
    I never used walnut. Corncob got them so much shinier.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I never used walnut. Corncob got them so much shinier.
    When I was first getting set up, the store had walnut, so I got that. Never tried the corn cob.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor3006 View Post
    Anyone have a way to get old brown colored brass, brite and shiney again? I have a handfull of assorted calibers of range brass that just won't shine up at all with cob, walnut, nufinish, or Lemishine. Some of it I keep throwing back into the tumbler, probably has spent a week being tumbled and still nadda, just brown. I have reloaded brown brass before for my own use, never had any issues but this stuff is brass I want to trade for calibers I need. Any ideas?
    Tatlor, did you ever get your brass cleaned up?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Hmm, he said brown, but I'm wondering if it could have been laquered steel cases originally. I mean even a vibratory tumbler should have cleaned them somewhat.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hmm, he said brown, but I'm wondering if it could have been laquered steel cases originally. I mean even a vibratory tumbler should have cleaned them somewhat.
    You may be on to something. Some of that laquered stuff looks like dirty range brass. That is one of the reasons I have a magnet on my reloading bench, and check every case.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Based on what I have read, I try to put a pound each of ss media, brass, and water in each drum. I add a bit of dish soap and lemi-shine. I have played with the run time, and two hours looks about as good as it gets, even with some very dirty range brass. Then I set it out to dry over night. This is afer a quick run in the walnut and then decap and resize. The run in the walnut is more to protect my dies than anything else. BTW, I go my media at midway, but at only using two pounds, I think I would have been better off to use the link that gandog had for a two pound pack.
    What do you mean by this?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmanWakeForest View Post
    Probably to get any grit off of the cases so they don't score up the dies... I have a universal depriming die that I use before they even go into the tumbler instead of using the sizing die though.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Yeah, that's why I use a universal depriming die. The sides of the dirty cases do not rub against the inside of the die. But it sounds like jebsca deprimes AFTER he cleans them. I want them primer pockets squeaky, shiny clean. So they get deprimed, then cleaned.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmanWakeForest View Post
    As they pointed out, it is just to get dirt and stuff off the brass to help protect the dies. Other use a universal decapping die first, but I do not have one, so into the walnut first, resize and then into the ss.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I just traded a spare decapping die to somebody here......too bad.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just traded a spare decapping die to somebody here......too bad.
    I don't know about too bad. I am getting on just fine without one. Have kicked it around a few times, but always find something else I want more.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    But....but.....squeaky clean primer pockets!

SANY0097_zps853f0655.jpg

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    But....but.....squeaky clean primer pockets!

SANY0097_zps853f0655.jpg
    If they got into a wet tumbler after sizing then they still have the squeaky clean primer pockets...

Makes sense to do it Jebsca's way though, saves one run through the tumbler I guess. I only have a vibratory tumbler thus far so I deprime, tumble, size and trim, tumble to remove sizing lube, then they get primed/loaded or whatnot depending on what I'm loading at the time.