Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What The Hell??????

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

What The Hell??????

I go to the brass trading forum, and the first entire page is taken up by stuff having NOTHING to do with brass. Is our old friend 15bvcmlk, with the inane gibberish posts bombarding this board using 20 different user names? I notice ALL the posts have user names that are mostly numbers. Can nothing be done about this bum?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't think this site can handle the amount of spam its getting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    looks like the attack stop for now.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Someone is spamming the forums.

Ed

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Yeah, but all these bogus posts need to be deleted,

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    looks like the attack stop for now.

Nope, another one just opened about 10 minutes ago. And its worse than I thought. He took over the first TEN pages of the brass trading forum.
    Last edited by gandog56; 08-22-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I can't remember the process for registering here, but I assume it is like most other forums and web sites that require accounts, they have a system built in that eliminates "bots" from registering and then spamming (remember "type the phrase" and the goofy pair of words when registering?). Looks like someone is manually registering and then running some sort of bot to produce copious amounts of posts in an attempt to crash the server (I guess) and deny access to this forum. It is possible that someone has dispensed with registering altogether and just hacked into the system and is producing a bunch of posts either manually or automatically.

Ed

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Something needs to be done, the site is almost useless.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    bump for mods

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Right now the site is useless

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull the trigger View Post
    Right now the site is useless
    yes it needs a lockdown, then a cleanup. I will say this, someone needs to look at the automated registration system

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tawastom View Post
    someone needs to look at the automated registration system
    That they do, it has been seriously compromised.

Feedback Score
    Posts have been deleted.. We had a good SPAM attack yesterday sorry fellas.. I have a lot of options in place to take these people down, but it can be a full time job.
    Welcome to ABT. Any questions feel free to ask.

Feedback Score
    They are very annoying, never sure what spammers hope to accomplish with those kinds of attacks... It's tuff to blame the websites under attack, especially if it's run by an all volunteer group. Saying this website is useless because it's under a spam attack is pretty much saying your car is worthless because it gets a flat tire. Crap happens, it's the digital age and very computer literate people get their jollies by pissing off the rest of us. Don't let them get under your skin.

I do have a question for one of the admin types though. I work nites and noticed the first wave of spams and just started marking the forums as read. This would have been around 2 or 3 am CST. Is there any way that any "normal" postings that were done during the attack, can be marked as unread by y'all? Assuming of course someone posted something real during that time frame.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Taylor3006: I was on last night around 9:00ish CST and again this morning and there had been maybe 3 new threads and all of them about the spam I believe, and maybe a few other comments on existing threads. I don't think you missed much.

Gunload Master: It looks like nothing ever happened this afternoon. It must have been a pain to remove all those threads, because it was pages upon pages of them. Thank you for your time and effort.

Ed

Feedback Score
    Thanks WarEagle, I am always afraid I am gonna miss something good!

Gunload Master, I apologize for my failure to thank you for your work cleaning up the mess. Please accept my belated gratitude to you and those who help keeping up the board. I really enjoy ABT and Cast Boolits, y'all do great work.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just curious, is Gunload Master the only moderator for this site? if so thats a lot of work!, I use this site a LOT and would have no problem contributing a monetary donation to help with costs or time to help if needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No, Gunload Master is NOT the only MOD for this site. However, the other MODs (I being one of them) have limited abilities to lock out IP ranges, etc. I can only delete threads and ban user names. Taking the more drastic actions requires Gunload Master's intervention.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Duke and Gunload master, thanks for the work. It couldn't have been easy. Glad to see the flat tire was fixed, so we can see who has what brass to trade today.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    No, Gunload Master is NOT the only MOD for this site. However, the other MODs (I being one of them) have limited abilities to lock out IP ranges, etc. I can only delete threads and ban user names. Taking the more drastic actions requires Gunload Master's intervention.
    I meant no disrespect, I think the site does a great job, just trying to offer help.