PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal sabot load data?

Mbaker78
07-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Came across some of these in a trade. Anyone have any load data for them in 308 and or 30-06? I primarily use IMR 4064 but have a few other powders available.

Thanks in advance.

Point-Man
07-07-2015, 04:13 AM
http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/products
I have never loaded any sabots ,but looks like it would be fun to load and shoot.

Mbaker78
07-07-2015, 04:18 AM
Yeah, I've seen that one, but it doesn't have any of the powders I have on hand...

I was hoping someone had already tried them and worked up a load that works well without being too hot.

DaveL
07-07-2015, 08:26 AM
There was a thread on another forum about this subject. Take a look.
http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?53162-30-06-sabots
HTH
Dave

gandog56
07-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I tried Remington Accelerators in .30.06 once, with saboted .22 cal bullets, accuracy just completely sucked. What ever material they used in the sabots apparently never engaged the barrel's rifling very well. I have never tried saboted rounds since.

Mbaker78
07-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Hmm... Maybe I'll do like I read somewhere, load just a sabot and primer in a case and shoot them for fun :P

DukeInFlorida
07-07-2015, 10:46 PM
My opinion.............

VERY GIMMICKY!

The sabots cost MORE than bullets do. The perceived increase in supposed velocity is totally offset by a dramatic reduction in accuracy. Not sure why anyone would want to even bother with these, except to have a new hobby. Unless you already made a big investment in sabots, save your time, money, and efforts.

And, you have to realize that bullet weights and diameters have EVERYTHING to do with burn rates of powder. While IMR 4064 is a wonderful .30 caliber powder (I use tons of it myself in all sorts of .30 caliber applications). IMR 4064 is a medium speed burning powder, especially good, for example for all service rifles with an operating rod. With these sabots, you are pushing a 22 caliber bullet, at 22 caliber bullet speeds. It therefore requires powders suitable for that. All of the powders listed are HIGH SPEED burn rates. Which is why you see listings for powders OTHER than IMR 4064.

Finally, a word about ACCURACY.... Accuracy in a rifle has practically NOTHING to do with pure velocity or flatness of trajectory. It has to do with the timing of the exit of the bullet from the muzzle, relative to the harmonics of the barrel. All barrels ring like a bell when the bullet is fired through it. Adjusting the timing of the exit of the bullet, by adjusting the amount of powder, is the key to success. It is going to be very difficult for you to adjust that timing with sabots. Load development will be a real pain. Faster is NOT better. I believe that you will see like other suggested, a less accurate shooter. Faster, yes. But less accurate.

I suggest that you stay on the safe side, and IF you are going to do sabot experimentation, at least stay with the tested load data that the manufacturer is providing.

Mbaker78
07-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Well, glad I didn't pay anything for them, just a minor portion of my unused 9mm brass. I'll easily make use of the other stuff I got in the trade, so it's not a loss.

That being said, anyone have any interest in a bag (100) of 30/22 sabots? :D

Mbaker78
07-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Update.

Emailed Sierra, told them which bullets I planned on using and their stock numbers and the powder I had on hand, got a reply back within an hour with a load window for 308 and 30-06. I've been a fan of Sierra bullets ever since I started reloading, but that just makes it even better.