PDA

View Full Version : Forum Members

Shooterontheline
05-31-2015, 05:01 PM
I have been a member here for some time now (not as long a Duke) and it appears to me that the forum has changed. When I first got into the trading business it seemed that everyone wanted pistol cases and where eager to trade. Now it seem like the requests are for specific case more so in the rifle variety. Maybe I'm seeing this through smoked glasses....or the bottom of a mug. Don't know. What is your thoughts?

GRUMPA
05-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Things will change by demand. Remember just a short while ago things of all kinds seemed scarce and/or hard to get no matter what it was. The folks that had.....will say 1K of something now wanted to make sure they had at least 4-5K of something. The way I see it the personal stores are where those folks want them to be and feel mildly comfortable with it.

So now folks are wanting/looking for specific things now, that......are just not as common as they once were. Take into account the price of just an empty case. Some of them haven't been made in what seems years, and when some do finally show up the price is hovering around $1ea.

I just view it as simple logic, and notice I didn't say common sense......it isn't so common anymore.

Let me just say that the cases I convert........are for things that cost around $1ea and if you can find them view yourself lucky.

gandog56
06-01-2015, 04:59 AM
I don't know. I've been trying to trade away 9mm, .40 cal, and 357 SIG away for a long time. No takers, but they sure want my rifle stuff.

62chevy
06-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Pistol brass is easier to find now but as we have all seen that can change at some politicians whim.

gandog56
06-03-2015, 04:39 AM
Remember the latest .223 scare?

GRUMPA
06-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Remember the latest .223 scare?

Oh boy do I......Right when 300 Blackout brass was at it's pinnacle, and I was doing at least 20K a month it was next to impossible to find that stuff.

WarEagleEd
06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Personally, I have built up a bit of a brass stash and that has certainly changed my trading habits. In general, my personal demand for brass has dwindled and when I do look to trade I'm looking for specific head stamps. This may change if I can find the time to load the majority of my stash. When my supply gets low my demand goes up.

gandog56
06-04-2015, 04:37 AM
I sort all my brass by headstamps. Does this make me excessively anal? ;)

Point-Man
06-04-2015, 10:55 AM
It seems to me that spent brass is becoming plentiful again. Especially 9mm- 40 cal- 38 spl - 45 acp. When I go to the range I have to clean it off the bench and from under my feet. Even at times I find 30-30, 308 -30-06, 243 and a bunch of 223. The brass I never find is the military calibers, like 303, 8mm mauser, 7.62x39, 7.5x55 swiss, 7.62x54 and others. Anyone that shoot these pick them up whether they reload or not." They might start someday. " With so much common brass available you can pick the manufacturer you prefer. An example, the only 223 brass I keep for myself is LC and Hornady. On another forum I even tried to sell some 308 . 100 pcs of r.p- OR 100 pcs of FC for 10 dollars. No one wanted them. I think most people learned something from the last shortage. I know I did. I have accumulated more brass than this old man will ever need. But I can`t stop picking it up. I`v tried .Ever so often I haul some to be recycled. I`m going Monday.

GRUMPA
06-04-2015, 12:53 PM
I sort all my brass by headstamps. Does this make me excessively anal? ;)

Depends on whom you ask. Wife harps on me all the time when folks get brass from me and want all the same heads stamp, even the same year on some of them....

62chevy
06-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Depends on whom you ask. Wife harps on me all the time when folks get brass from me and want all the same heads stamp, even the same year on some of them....

That is a service you could charge extra for.

WarEagleEd
06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
FYI, if you have excess brass that you can't trade away because there is no demand for it, you might find someone that needs what you've got over in the Helping Hands section of the Cast Boolits forums.

gandog56
06-05-2015, 05:11 PM

I usually sort them by headstamp, but if they want same date they will pay me with a high trade ratio!

GRUMPA
06-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Some of you are getting a distorted understanding on that phrase. All I do is convert brass and some of them want everything the same, what I call the perfectionist syndrome. Like on the 221 Fireball, 300BO, 8mm Mauser. I go through a lot of brass in a given month, and having to sort a bunch of cases by year can be a challenge.

62chevy
06-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Some of you are getting a distorted understanding on that phrase. All I do is convert brass and some of them want everything the same, what I call the perfectionist syndrome. Like on the 221 Fireball, 300BO, 8mm Mauser. I go through a lot of brass in a given month, and having to sort a bunch of cases by year can be a challenge.

I understand what you are saying and low volume would be easier but not easy.

DukeInFlorida
08-25-2015, 06:11 PM
This is a BRASS trading site, and any brass is fair game for trading.

However, I am seeing a disturbing trend, and I am intent on fixing it quickly.

This site, as many of you know, started off as a much needed replacement for a similar site that went down when some guy got divorced. The names don't matter. The fact is that a TRADING site was requested, and we have worked hard to provide a good quality site for that purpose.

Recently, some of the members here have all but abandoned the TRADES, and are putting up long lists of brass that they are scrounging, for OUTRIGHT SALE. I suppose they expect to make a living off the sales of that brass.

This is NOT a selling site. It is a trading site......... I am beginning to "warn" those who are obviously breaking the rules. I will start to delete threads that don't comply with the warnings. And, if certain members persist in outright sales, they will face banning. I really don't want to do that, so I would ask that everyone comply. TRADES ONLY!!!

Now, there are times, as was discussed early on in the development of the rules, when a little cash is needed to fix an otherwise off sided trade. That would be OK.

But, the days of:

100 9mm - $10
125 .40S&W - $12

ARE OVER!!!!

Questions?

gandog56
08-28-2015, 08:29 AM
If you want to sell it, go to Facebook. They have all kinds of reloading pages.

Brassboy
08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Gangdog for president.

gandog56
08-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Gangdog for president.

Make the last 500 yards to the Mexican Border a free fire zone?

rodnocker1
08-29-2015, 07:42 AM
I don't even try to sell brass anymore and don't think I have here or on the old site. Shoot, I was even giving brass away to some of the Brothers that needed it and couldn't find it. And I've got more brass and ammo now than I'll (and probably my Sons)ever use.

62chevy
08-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Make the last 500 yards to the Mexican Border a free fire zone?

OK that settles it gandog56 for President. Yup that got my vote.

rbuck351
09-26-2015, 05:47 AM
I was a member of the first Ammo brass trader almost from it's beginning and if ammo or brass was being trader by one of the parties involved the trade could consist of ANYTHING legal that was acceptable to the one with the brass including trading the brass for green paper. I'm not sure why that is a problem here. Why do the moderators care what I want in trade for my brass including green paper. I have not attempted to trade my brass for green paper but I have a bunch of desirable brass that I could trade but have all the brass I need for the guns I shoot. There is a fellow here from the old sight that is wanting brass that I have but has no brass I want so I would give it to him except that apparently it's against the rules. It is after all a trading site and that wouldn't actually be a trade. So mister moderator, would it be alright just this one time if I give him the brass? It's not like I'm trying to make a living by giving him the brass. On the old site I traded brass for scopes, game bags, gun parts and other stuff. I'm wondering what the issue here is with trading our brass for whatever we need including green paper if the other party doesn't have anything else we need.

62chevy
09-26-2015, 02:31 PM
My impression is the trade you are talking about would be OK as long as you didn't list them for dollars and dollars can makeup part of the deal. They can correct me if needed but is you have 500 cases I want and I only have 200 cases you want the the difference can be made up with cash or other gear.

gandog56
09-26-2015, 03:00 PM
I've sometimes thrown in that if you have none of the calibers I listed as my needs, cash was acceptable. But if I want to sell the brass I put it on Facebook. Plenty of reloader's pages there.

DukeInFlorida
09-26-2015, 03:40 PM
You can GIVE away your brass. You can trade your brass.

But..........

You cannot sell your brass here.

As has been pointed out, there are plenty of other places to sell brass. This is not one of them.
While the previous iteration of ABT allowed selling brass, we do not. Not even once, for special occasions.

We have plenty of happy members here, who understand and are happy with the current rules as they are.

rbuck351
09-26-2015, 10:26 PM
OK, I can give my brass away or I can trade it for what? Just other brass or can I trade it for other stuff such as scopes, bullets, boolits, gun parts, car parts etc. I have never attempted to sell brass here nor will I. It's your web site and you can make the rules as you wish. I'm just curious as to why you can't trade brass for the universal trade media (money). After all, that's all trading is, selling one thing for another thing.

DukeInFlorida
09-27-2015, 01:41 PM
You can trade your brass for other brass, or for most things gun related. Cash is not allowed, nor are car parts, your uncles prosthetic leg, your neighbor's dog, or pirate booty.

It's pretty simple

Ammo brass TRADER

Box13
11-22-2015, 07:24 PM
I propose we change the name of the site to cast boolit brass trader as it no longer resembles the old ammobrasstrader site...

rbuck351
11-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Box13
You sir are correct.

Mbaker78
11-23-2015, 07:11 PM
I propose we change the name of the site to cast boolit brass trader as it no longer resembles the old ammobrasstrader site...

I had been thinking the same thing.

Rolling Stone
11-24-2015, 01:19 PM
I haven't been around for a while and it looks like things have changed. I guess I need to get up to date. I had a deal going and the other guy got picky so I pulled all my stuff and forgot about this for a while. Got me a bad review in the process. Box13 its good to see you are still kicking.

DukeInFlorida
11-25-2015, 07:33 PM
It will remain Ammo Brass Trader. Had the fellow who started the old Ammo Brass Trader showed back up on the scene, we would have deferred to him, and not even started this forum. However, after much detective work, we determined that he wasn't coming back on the scene, and lots of people were asking for a replacement to fill that void.

So, the current name will remain.

As far as the nature of this forum changing from what the OTHER guy did.... yes, that's true. He allowed it to be very LOOSE with regard to the rules. Rules are only ever created when someone steps too far over boundaries. While the other guy didn't care (for a variety of reasons, mostly dealing with his personal life from what I heard), we have a while different viewpoint on keeping things more in order.

Especially when we are STILL under regular attack from the hacker kiddies across the pond.

While Castboolits.gunloads.com is the parent "host" for this site, this site operates under complete autonomy from any other site. .gunloads.com is a collection of FREE sites, mostly gun related, and covering a wide variety of specialty topics. For example, http://swaparms.com/ is a sister site where you can TRADE everything gun related, archery related, etc. But, it is also strictly a TRADING site. If you want to SELL brass, join castboolits.gunloads.com, and as long as you meet the criteria for allowing you to SELL, you can sell there at will. However, the original intent of this site, as was the original site (which went out of existence), is to provide a place to SWAP/TRADE brass. Since castboolits.gunloads.com already provides a place for selling brass, we will NOT duplicate that method of exchanging brass.

If anyone doesn't like the smooth flowing feel of this site (we're having much fewer problems than we used to have), then you have a couple of choices:

Find somewhere else where you can sell your brass. Or, start your own web site, and have at it. Keep in mind that ammo brass trader is a FREE place. No fees, subscriptions, etc. So, we get to establish a few simple rules, and will keep them enforced. This site grows slowly. But it does grow. And, as it grows, you'll find more people to trade with. So, encouraging people to join AmmoBrassTrader is a good thing. We strive to make this site a better and better place as time goes on. There are features we can add once the membership level gets to a certain point. All of our software for running the site is professional software, and a bit expensive. It's VERY necessary for any one who's going to run a serious web based forum. Trust me, the hacker kiddies are doing their hardest work, trying to crash all USA web sites. So, we can't just pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into a site for additional software (like a chat function, blog, etc) until the membership level gets top the point where it makes economic sense. You'd never have gotten that from the original web owner of the original ammo brass trader. In fact, I almost would bet that even if he had stayed on line, he would have been hacked out of existence by now.

Also, because of the rather low membership here so far (67 active members, compared to castboolits, which has 39,000 members), we are short staffed here. That's another reason why we have to have the rules we have, and the new structure. In that way, we can manage things better in our short staffed condition. No, we don't want or need any additional help.

Finally, we don't mind good constructive criticism, good or bad. We love hearing good suggestions for making this forum even better.

However, we will NOT tolerate "trolls" who come here, just looking to make trouble because you think it might be fun to rustle things up a bit. If you need a proper explanation of what "trolls" are in a forum, please PM me. Suffice it to say that trolls are commonly those troublemakers who get kicked out of every forum they visit.

tawastom
11-27-2015, 04:17 AM
I think a real nice addition .and probably get more users would be to have a section where members could exchange dies with one another. I have done that here before, We all have a few sets lying around for calibers we no longer have or use.

62chevy
11-27-2015, 07:29 AM
I think a real nice addition .and probably get more users would be to have a section where members could exchange dies with one another. I have done that here before, We all have a few sets lying around for calibers we no longer have or use.

I'll second that idea but add one thing, expand it to any reloading component. I do understand that could complicate things.

DukeInFlorida
11-27-2015, 08:37 AM
This site is for BRASS only.

However, we already have a sister site, where you can trade dies, etc....

swaparms.com (http://swaparms.com) (I'm also the admin there)

Mbaker78
11-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Maybe let people name their own trading thread. I look at the feed and don't immediately know who's thread is who's. I'm ok with only having one thread per person, but the same name for every thread is a bit much.

tawastom
11-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Maybe let people name their own trading thread. I look at the feed and don't immediately know who's thread is who's. I'm ok with only having one thread per person, but the same name for every thread is a bit much.

Im hip on that, on my PC i can hover the cursor and read a part of the thread, but my phone I cant. I dont see the harm in stating what you want or offering in the title other than "My Trades"

DukeInFlorida
11-28-2015, 07:20 PM
You can name your brass trading thread anything that you want.

Just be mindful that you only get the ONE thread, and that you will need to edit it as your brass trade options change.

tawastom
11-28-2015, 08:26 PM
You can name your brass trading thread anything that you want.

Just be mindful that you only get the ONE thread, and that you will need to edit it as your brass trade options change.

Oh I understand, you dont want for example me having three different threads for different items, understandable. I was just pointing out its hard to navigate when all the threads have the same title

DukeInFlorida
11-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Some of the members have already changed their titles.
It's Ok if you rename your thread, "tawastom's Trades", or whatever you feel is good for you. I had a bunch of them to do in a hurry, and just named them all TRADES.

packnrat
12-10-2015, 06:51 AM
It seems to me that spent brass is becoming plentiful again. Especially 9mm- 40 cal- 38 spl - 45 acp. When I go to the range I have to clean it off the bench and from under my feet. Even at times I find 30-30, 308 -30-06, 243 and a bunch of 223. The brass I never find is the military calibers, like 303, 8mm mauser, 7.62x39, 7.5x55 swiss, 7.62x54 and others. Anyone that shoot these pick them up whether they reload or not." They might start someday. " With so much common brass available you can pick the manufacturer you prefer. An example, the only 223 brass I keep for myself is LC and Hornady. On another forum I even tried to sell some 308 . 100 pcs of r.p- OR 100 pcs of FC for 10 dollars. No one wanted them. I think most people learned something from the last shortage. I know I did. I have accumulated more brass than this old man will ever need. But I can`t stop picking it up. I`v tried .Ever so often I haul some to be recycled. I`m going Monday.

i know the feeling.
even when i go deer hunting. my friends ask me how many cases i found that day. not a great hunter. but a fantastic brass hound.

every where i go i am looking for and finding something to bring home. just a couple blunder 9's to bags full of mixed cases.