PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try converting berdan to boxer?

jebsca
12-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I have seen a few different ways on different web sites. After finding a 54r berdan that had a crack near the base, I decided it was time to try it. The method that I used was listed on castboolits.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143855-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-Boxer

The first thing I did was took a scrap 2x4 and drilled a hole to put the brass in primer up to hold it when drilling. Other than that, I did it right from the directions. I think all was good. Now I just need to try it out on a good case.

So, have any of you tried this or something like it? what kind of results did you have?

gandog56
12-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Too much work, and I still wouldn't trust them.

That and a LOT of those cases are not brass, but steel.

jebsca
12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
That and a LOT of those cases are not brass, but steel.

You are right. Many berdan primed cases are steel. That is why when I sort range brass, I have a magnet with me and check ALL brass. 99% of the time, I can tell by sight, but sometimes, I will get a surprise, and find a dirty brass case that I had taken for steel.

After that, I will check the pieces that may be berdan, and place in a different bag.

So far, I have not tried running a berdan case in my dies. Trying to take care of them.

As for the too much work. The one that I did was very easy. I was done with it so quick, that I had to check the directions again, just knowing that I had missed something.

Something that I did not point out last night, was in regards to priming it. I took a SR primer and seated it using my single stage press. It felt about right. When I checked the primer, it was a tad high, something that I still run into with that press.

Based on what I have seen so far, I would not be scared to work up a load in converted cases.

WarEagleEd
12-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I have heard more recently of folks getting ahold of berdan primers and using those, skipping the conversion process altogether.

Ed

jebsca
12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I have heard more recently of folks getting ahold of berdan primers and using those, skipping the conversion process altogether.

Ed

I have seen some berdan primers for sale too. With that in mind, I have pulled a few berdan primers, just to try it out. I just tried popping a small hole in the primer and pry to primer out. It was doable, but slow. Without putting a stopwatch to it, I think it took me longer to get the primer out than it took me to convert it to boxer. The bonus is that I would only have to make the conversion once, unlike depriming the berdan brass.

Keep in mind, I am still a long ways away from putting a full load of power over that primer and setting it off inches from my face.

WarEagleEd
12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
The bonus is that I would only have to make the conversion once, unlike depriming the berdan brass.

This is true.

gandog56
12-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Berdan primers are out there. The only problem is depriming Berdan primers is a big hassle, You either have to kind of chisel them out, or messily blow them out using a ram and water, which shoots the water everywhere. There are many strange sized Berdan Primers, too. Like the ones used for 7.62X54R are a different size than the ones used for 7.62X39, even though they are both large rifle primers.

Small pistol For 5.56 x 23 cartridges 4.6mm/.1800"
Small pistol For 9 x 17,9 x 18.9 x 19 cartridges 5.6mm/.1982"
Small rifle For 5.56 x 45 cartridges 5.6mm/.1982"
Large rifle For 7.62 x 39 cartridges 5.55mm/.2175"
Large rifle For 7.62 x 51; 7.62 x 54 cartridges 6.55mm/.2563"

gandog56
12-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Here's my other problem, even if you swage out the 2 not centered flash holes in a Berdan primered case, that leaves 2 weak spots where they used to be. That is why I say I don't trust converted cases.

DukeInFlorida
12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
If you ONLY had 10 berdan cases to your name, and no other brass whatsoever..... you'd find a way to use them.

However, when I prepare for a new gun, say the 91-30 Mosin, I always make an investment in boxer primed reloadable brass (in that specific instance, I purchased a bunch of Prvi Partizan brass/ammo, all of which is boxer primed, and very reloadable), and have a lifetime of brass at my disposal. I can reload cheaper than even the cheapest steel surplus ammo. It never makes any sense for me to try to reload berdan primer brass. They all go into the scrap metal bucket, and sold at $1.80 a pound.

NorthrenMN
12-25-2013, 09:24 PM
I deprimed 100 7.62x39 berdan cases I turned down a pin that would fit the flash hole and tapped them out. I do the same as DukeInFlorida buy loaded ammo shoot that up then reload.

gandog56
12-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Yeah, but some calibers are still hard to find Boxer primed, like 7.62x54R, 8X56R, 9mm Mak, 7.62 Nagant............

DukeInFlorida
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
No, they're NOT!

Prvi Partizan makes wonderful boxer primed brass in all those sizes. I found that it's sometimes just as cheap to BUY (yes, buy....) loaded ammo from Prvi Partizan, shoot it, and then you will have the brass to reload.

If you are going to try the super stingy, el cheapo, trading method of getting "free boxer primed brass", in those sizes, good luck. You'll wait forever.... Just not worth it, in my book. Bite the proverbial bullet, buy some brass, and reload the heck out of it. Life's too short for being too cheap sometimes.

Yeah, but some calibers are still hard to find Boxer primed, like 7.62x54R, 8X56R, 9mm Mak, 7.62 Nagant............

jebsca
12-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Prvi Partizan makes wonderful boxer primed brass....

Have to agree with you on this one. When I go to Cabela's, I tend to get a box of Prvi ammo if nothing else.

gun_slinger_boy
09-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Here is a post on another forum I belong to that I made. I think converting 7.62x39 brass can be worthwhile if you can become efficient in it.

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/off-topic/85551-my-7-62x39-casing-experiment-went-well.html

rbuck351
09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I have been drilling out the primer and counter drilling for a shotgun primer for the 7.62x54. It works rather well with cast boolit loads but I haven't tried it with full snort jacketed loads yet. I'm using PPU brass for the jacketed loads but will be going to Herters brass as the loaded Herters shoots much better than the loaded PPU. The PPU 150s shoot about 8" at 100, the 182s shoot about 6" and the Herters 180s shoot about 1 1/2 ". So far nothing but the Herters works worth shooting including everything I have reloaded. I think I need to find some bigger jacketed bullets as 311s aren't doing the job.

gandog56
09-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Let's see, 7.62X54R, cases with boxer primers I have, JMS, Norma, Prvi Partizan, Wolf Gold, Lapua, S&B, and Winchester. I'm not going to the trouble of converting Berdan to boxer or using Berdan primers. I have enough to keep me happy.