PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Prime

WarEagleEd
09-29-2013, 05:49 PM
I recently bought a lot of reloading equipment. It was a mix of stuff but I found a Lee Auto Prime (not the Auto Prime XR) hand operated primer. Are these pretty good tools or are they more trouble then they are worth. Do the shell holders for the XR model fit the old model?

Ed

jebsca
09-29-2013, 06:13 PM
It does use the same shell holders as the XR, as per lee's web site. I think my lee reloading manual talks about it. If you don't have the book, I can check for you.

Mbaker78
10-03-2013, 04:01 AM
The auto prime and auto prime XR are basically the same with the exception of a small blast shield on the XR that comes up when the ram is raised, just to prevent primer mass detonation. The shell holders should be the same between the old and new version as the ergo prime uses the same shell holders too.

As to how good of a tool it is, I like every lee tool I've tried with only one exception (quick trim set). I've stuffed in a few thousand primers of different makes with my XR and haven't had a single detonation, when I quite probably should have... I've had primers go in upside down and sideways and they still haven't gone off in my hand. I've loaded federal match primers in 308 with no issues either. Overall I think you'll like the auto prime, I know I like my XR.

DukeInFlorida
10-03-2013, 04:53 AM
I like doing the priming on the press.

I use either my RCBS RockChuckers with the spring loaded primer arm, or my Dillon RL550b, with the primer feed tubes.

Have never, in more than 40 years of doing this, had a primer detonate while setting it. That includes some that ended up, for whatever strange reason, in weird orientations. Upside down, sideways, etc.

I like to set primers on the machine because the machine gives me maximum leverage, etc. And, I have never been one to want to hurt my hands with a manual primer setter. I shudder when I hear some people talk about setting primers while watching TV, etc. Setting primers is one of the mechanical parts of reloading that demands more attention (attentiveness) than that.

jebsca
10-03-2013, 05:26 AM
I think a hand primer should get more credit than that Duke. Even with all the pain of tennis elbow and arthritis (sp?), I don't hurt from using my XR. It also gives me a good feal for the primer being seated. As for paying attention and not watching tv when priming, I would hope that they would do a good QC after, be it on a hand press, a progressive, or a single stage. It is possible to put one in upside down on any of them, or not seat them enough, or even not seat one at all.

Pull the trigger
10-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I have only ever used a lee hand prime and it is easy to have them flip sideways and upside down. Do other brand hand primers do this also?

Mbaker78
10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
All of the 308 I load is single stage, just for consistency, so they get primed by hand. 223 also get primed by hand for now, just because I've had too many non-swaged primer pockets, but it's progressive after that. Straight necked handgun stuff is fully progressive from start to finish.

As for watching TV while priming, I do that, but if I don't actually look at the primer I at least run a finger across it to feel the seating depth and make sure the primer went in straight... In reality I'm just listening to the TV and sitting in a chair that's a lot more comfortable than the stool at my bench ;)

WarEagleEd
10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
If you don't have the book, I can check for you.

I don't have the Lee manual.

I like doing the priming on the press.

This is what I have been doing and have had good results so far.

However, I got this hand primer with a bunch of other stuff and am thinking about giving it a try.

Ed

gandog56
10-08-2013, 06:18 AM
I don't have the Lee manual.

This is what I have been doing and have had good results so far.

However, I got this hand primer with a bunch of other stuff and am thinking about giving it a try.

Ed

I like the hand primer. I get a better feel of when they are set right with the hand tool instead of the press. But some cases (Mainly Winchester 7.62X54R cases) need just a littler more force to get them primed. Then I break out the Lee Ram Primer and do use the press. (Why the Winchester cases have such tight primer pockets I have no clue!)

Anyways for a manual you can use the Auto Prime XR manual I would guess Like was previously mentioned I think the only difference is the little thingie that lifts the next primer up to feed and would probably stop a chain reaction detonation, which I have never had happen in 35+ years of hand priming.

Anyways the instruction sheet for the XR can be downloaded for free at :

http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

WarEagleEd
10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=gandog56;8058
Anyways the instruction sheet for the XR can be downloaded for free at :

http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

Ed

gandog56
10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Did that Lee manual I pointed you to help anything?

WarEagleEd
10-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Did that Lee manual I pointed you to help anything?

It did, thanks!

Ed

rodnocker1
10-24-2013, 07:34 AM
I've got 3 AutoPrimes and use them all of the time. A few things to be aware of:

Lee is no longer offering parts for the old style (round tray) but is offering to replace your old style with a new unit. All you have to do is send them your old unit PLUS 1/2 the cost of a new unit PLUS shipping and they will send you a new style......WHAT A DEAL!?!?!

Also, you can't prime WSM or WSSM brass on them without grinding out the mouth on the main body.

gandog56
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Also, you can't prime WSM or WSSM brass on them without grinding out the mouth on the main body.

Can you elaborate about that because I don't see why it is necessary.

rodnocker1
10-24-2013, 11:45 AM
The opening on the tool is about 0.532" (according to my mic) and a WSM case body measures 0.553"+/-. The mouth on the tool isn't wide enough for the WSM case to go in. Midway's site makes a note about it on their Autoprime page and Laine at Lee Precision told me the same thing....use a Dremel tool to remove material. He said the original Autoprime was designed back before the WSM and WSSM cases were introduced.

I used one of the small sanding drums and just made a single pass, removing material from both sides at once. It now works with WSM brass.

WarEagleEd
10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Lee is no longer offering parts for the old style (round tray) but is offering to replace your old style with a new unit. All you have to do is send them your old unit PLUS 1/2 the cost of a new unit PLUS shipping and they will send you a new style......WHAT A DEAL!?!?!

I heard about this but can't find anything on their website about it. I figured I would use it until it breaks and then send it in for the Auto Prime XR, if I am happy with the results I get from the original one I have.

Ed

gandog56
10-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Or, I may have a spare in my shed. You need parts for the old one, contact me first!

I have both the new one and an Lee Ergo hand primer and don't use the old one any more.

WarEagleEd
10-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Or, I may have a spare in my shed. You need parts for the old one, contact me first!

Roger that!

Ed