PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP

WarEagleEd
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Anybody have any experience shooting/carrying the Ruger LCP pistol?

Ed

ZmanWakeForest
09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Yeah I have one. You need the shoot through holster....makes it even better.

WarEagleEd
09-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Does it feed all sorts of ammunition reliably? How is the trigger pull?

Ed

ZmanWakeForest
09-11-2013, 05:23 PM
The trigger pull is absolutely horrible......LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG! No problem with ammo...probably have 3000 rounds down the pipe.

WarEagleEd
09-11-2013, 06:49 PM
So, it's just a long trigger pull, but not a heavy pull?

Ed

jebsca
09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
The trigger is long, but not hard at all. A buddy has one and he let me shoot it. It was a nice gun, and for a small carry, it was very good shooter. I think if you needed the gun, you wouldn't notice the long trigger pull.

ZmanWakeForest
09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree with that...if you needed it you wouldn't notice the long trigger pull, but you would notice the very limited magazine capacity......

Also you might notice that the sights are useless......if you need to protect yourself, the other person should be close....REALLY close.

yruiz
09-11-2013, 08:39 PM
+1 for terrible sights. I have even thought about adding one of the bolt on laser sights. I like carrying it, I sometimes forget I even have it in my pocket.

jebsca
09-12-2013, 05:15 AM
+1 for terrible sights. I have even thought about adding one of the bolt on laser sights. I like carrying it, I sometimes forget I even have it in my pocket.

If you carry it enough, you will get used to any pistol, and "forget" about it. When I first stated carrying, it was my fs 1911. It was heavy and it dug into my side. Now, I can work in the yard or hunt or what ever, and only notice when I bump it. Like steal towed boots, if you carry it enough, you will get used to it.

Mbaker78
09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah I have one. You need the shoot through holster....makes it even better.

I'm not positive about this, but I've heard from a reliable source that the shoot through holster makes it an NFA weapon... I'd look into this if you carry one or are planning to carry one.

ZmanWakeForest
09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
There are lots of "variations" of a shoot through holster.....some are approved...some are not....it's all about the grey area....a good indication is if you buy it at YOUR local FFL and not off the internet you should be good....if it was illegal your local guy can't or "shouldn't" sell it.....but that is just what "I've heard from a reliable source"

Mbaker78
09-14-2013, 04:14 AM
There are lots of "variations" of a shoot through holster.....some are approved...some are not....it's all about the grey area....a good indication is if you buy it at YOUR local FFL and not off the internet you should be good....if it was illegal your local guy can't or "shouldn't" sell it.....but that is just what "I've heard from a reliable source"

On the same token, you can buy a 8" barrel for an AR15, but putting it on a rifle lower makes it a SBR... As you said, all about the grey area. I'd ask around to be sure before getting hit with an NFA violation ;)

ZmanWakeForest
09-14-2013, 05:45 AM
For those less adventureous......

http://www.americanrifleman.org/wp-content/uploads/Webcontent/gallery/191/2048DesantiPocketShot.jpg

jebsca
09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
For those less adventureous......

http://www.americanrifleman.org/wp-content/uploads/Webcontent/gallery/191/2048DesantiPocketShot.jpg

Eek!!!
I can't speak for if its non-regulated or not, but is it any different then an iwb holster or some other way of hiding your carry? As to the 8" ar, I have a sholder stock for a 191w, as well as an 18" bbl. If you have the stock, and not the bbl, you are asking for trouble.

WarEagleEd
09-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I have seen that shoot through holster before. How does it feel to grip the gun while in that holster?

BTW, I picked up a Ruger LCP last Friday. I haven't had the chance to fire it yet, but hopefully I can do that this weekend.

Ed

ZmanWakeForest
09-18-2013, 04:57 PM
It improves the grip dramatically, especially if you have large hands on that tiny pea shoot!

jebsca
09-22-2013, 07:51 AM
BTW, I picked up a Ruger LCP last Friday. I haven't had the chance to fire it yet, but hopefully I can do that this weekend.

So... Did you get out and test the new toy?

WarEagleEd
09-24-2013, 05:49 PM
No, I haven't had a chance yet. I hope to go to the range Sunday or Monday, but you know what they say, the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.

Ed

jebsca
09-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Well, good luck, when ever you get out to play. I know my trips to the range have not happened like I was hoping the last few months.

Mbaker78
09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I've only made it to the range about 1/3 as much as I've wanted to this summer...

jebsca
09-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I've only made it to the range about 1/3 as much as I've wanted to this summer...

That sounds about right. Just as well. Had a hard time getting reloading supplies most of the past year. Still, its hard not taking a new toy out to play with. Hope you get to take it out soon, let us know how you like it.

WarEagleEd
09-30-2013, 06:08 PM
I finally made it to the range today to try out the LCP. I took my Kel-Tec P32 (which will be replaced by the LCP as an every-day-carry pistol) for the sake of comparison. Overall, I am pleased with the LCP. I will briefly compare the two on a few main points.

Accuracy: the LCP was accurate, just as others have told me, despite the greater recoil than the P32. As a matter of fact, I found it was more accurate than the P32.

Ammo feed/fire/eject reliability: I put about 90 rounds through the LCP, both FMJs (Fiocchi) and Federal Hydra-shock HPs. I never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject. The P32 gobbled up FMJs with no problem, but HPs needed a spacer in the magazine in order to avoid rim lock (which I didn’t have). However, in the P32’s defense, HPs in. 32 Auto don’t seem to expand reliably, so, with the exception of the first round, I only used FMJs when carrying it.

I also noticed that the LCP ejected all the cases in pretty much the same general area. I recovered all but 3 or 4 of my cases. The P32 ejects cases all over the place. I fired about half as many rounds through the P32 but came up about 8 short when recovering cases. So, statistically, I recovered about 96% of the .380 Auto cases and 79% of the .32 Auto cases.

Design features: Both pistols feel about the same in hand and in my pocket. I prefer the LCP’s sights to the odd sights on the P32 (but Kel-Tec may have changed them for the 2nd gen version). However, I do prefer the slide hold-open triggered by an empty magazine on the P32, which the LCP doesn’t have. The LCP has a manual lever that can be pushed up to lock the slide back. Also, I prefer the shape of the trigger guard on the P32, it has a bump forward of the trigger that provides a positive perch for my off-hand index finger. However, I found when shooting, that it didn’t make a lot of difference whether I had that little “bump” or not.

Overall, I am happy with the LCP. Its superior accuracy makes up for some of the design features that don’t thrill me.

Ed

P.S. I also like the idea of putting a bigger hole in my target with the LCP as compared to the P32.

Mbaker78
10-03-2013, 03:52 AM
P.S. I also like the idea of putting a bigger hole in my target with the LCP as compared to the P32.

That's why I carry a 40s&w. But I'm a bigger guy and have more... frame... to cover the fact I'm carrying a bigger gun.

WarEagleEd
11-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Just a little follow-up, I have been carrying my LCP in a front pocket holster made by Galco (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212180/galco-front-pocket-holster-ambidextrous-kel-tec-p32-p3at-ruger-lcp-leather-tan?cm_vc=S014). However, pocket carry has its limitations, such as getting in and out of the car. It can be cumbersome pulling it out of the front pocket and putting in the car and vice-versa. On long trips this is no big deal, but on shopping trips with frequent stops, it can get old quick. Therefore, I end up leaving it in the car (doesn't help when I am inside) or leaving it in my pocket while driving, which means I can't retrieve it fast at all. I wanted to wear it on my side so as to avoid these problems. I decided to try a Fobus holster because I like the one I have for my Bersa .380 and it was available locally. I bought the Evolution Paddle holster (http://www.fobusholster.com/products/RUGER_LCP_EVOLUTION_PADDLE_HOLSTER-4832-0.html) with adjustable retention. It is a very comfy combo due to its small size and the light weight of the gun. I put it on right before leaving the house the other day and barely noticed it was there while doing some shopping with the wife. When I got back, I kept it on for quite some time while I sat around watching football and doing other things around the house. Once again, the light weight of the gun coupled with the overall small size of the gun/holster combo meant that it rarely got in my way or caused any discomfort. I wouldn't have just lounged around the house with my Bersa .380 attached to my hip. I really enjoy this combination and have increased my frequency of carrying a concealed weapon because of it.

Ed

Mbaker78
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I leave mine in the holster in the car, it's not too far from the seatbelt buckle and not too terribly hard to draw from there while sitting.

Sailorman1
11-29-2013, 06:18 AM
I have had one for a couple of years it is my go to carry in the hot summer months with just shorts and a t-shirt. I have a pocket holster but I prefer to carry it in a Desantis IWB at about 5 O"clock. It carries this way very comfortable you will forget you even have it with you. That holster allows you to carry and extra mag also.

I have yet to have any ammo jam this gun and I have fed it just about everything.

This is definitely not a target pistol altho if you paint the sights a little you can do pretty good with it.

It does have a long trigger pull which is really the only safety on the gun. But I guarantee you if you ever have to use in a self defense situation you will never notice it.

This is really a close in point and shoot type gun. Try shooting silhouette targets at about 15ft with out using the sights. With a little practice you will find you will be putting them all in center mass with out much trouble.