PDA

View Full Version : Do You Count The Cases?

Shooterontheline
09-04-2013, 05:04 AM
I am curious and ask this question: When you make a trade for case and have worked out the details, Do you count the cases that you receive from the other person?

jebsca
09-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Yep. I am not realy looking to catch a problem, just checking what I got. I will check store bought stuff as well. I have noticed that many of the comanies that I have getten bullets from tend to put in extras. The only time I have had a problem when I found a short was on a trade I sent out. I had set the brass aside in the living room, and asked my wife to ship it out that day. A week or two later, I found a case, and the best I could figure was iit had fallen when my wife was loading up the box. Opps! Sent a note to the guy I traded with, and he said if he was short, he didn't notice.

gandog56
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Well, I usually run them through my wet rotary tumbler to clean them. I need to know how much so I don't overload it. So yes, I count them.

Gotammo
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't actually count to see if they are all there or not but check to see if there are damages cases, in some cases checking primers and making sure they are the right Cal. Its just good practice. And can save your dies or eyes !

Mbaker78
09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I use the 50 hole loading trays for case prep, so counting them is kind of a by product of that, but not necessarily intended

ZmanWakeForest
09-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I use the 50 hole loading trays for case prep, so counting them is kind of a by product of that, but not necessarily intended

Yepper, I do this too.....this also makes it easy to spot mixed brass.

Mbaker78
09-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Yepper, I do this too.....this also makes it easy to spot mixed brass.

Sorting after a field trip is a bit more primitive... I just pull out the cases starting with the largest working down size wise to the smallest... Kills the neck from standing there looking down for so long though...

jebsca
09-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Sorting after a field trip is a bit more primitive... I just pull out the cases starting with the largest working down size wise to the smallest... Kills the neck from standing there looking down for so long though...

Your field trips must go better than mine. If I get about 30 pieces of brass, it was a good trip. As for my brass, I try to keep it sorted as I use it.

Shooterontheline
09-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I wanted to get an idea from the forum before I posted what I do. When a box comes in it generally gets tossed in the tumbler if needed and then divided up into the rotation for reloading. Do I count them........ No. I have had excellent luck with all the traders from the forums, you guys are a very good example of taking care of one an other. When I send some brass out, I try to add a few pieces more just in case the recipient finds a bad casing (happens sometimes).

Mbaker78
09-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Your field trips must go better than mine. If I get about 30 pieces of brass, it was a good trip. As for my brass, I try to keep it sorted as I use it.

When I go to the range, I take a fair selection of stuff.. The AR and handguns sling brass all over the place. Plus I sometimes get lucky and find some stuff that's been left behind.

At my favorite range all brass is fair game as long as you're not poaching from someone else's pile ;)

holeysocks
10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a counting scale, I bought off E-Bay

gandog56
10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I have a counting scale, I bought off E-Bay

And I used to calibrate them things when I worked in a commercial calibration company.

rodnocker1
10-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I have a severe case of OCD (seriously, I'm not joking) so I do count cases....and footsteps, stairs, etc.

On the flip side, when I send brass to someone (say, 1000 pcs of 223, 45, or whatever), I usually include 100 extra even though I know the count is accurate because I've counted it at least twice already when I bagged it. I want them to get what I said they would and I include extra , just in case I missed a bad one or two. I'd rather lose a little brass than to have someone feel I "chumped" them on a deal.

danrum
10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I count by weight. I weigh a 100 (50, 25 or whatever) and then do my multiplication. I ALWAYS send a few more than I state and often include "bonuses" such as a pound or two of tumbling media; a magazine; something small and a hand written thank you note. Not much to ask to be very kind to other reloaders.

gandog56
11-01-2013, 05:50 AM
I usually don't count the cases directly when I get them. But after I clean them up and throw out any rejects, I separate them by headstamps in different baggies or zip lock bags, and write the amount of cases in the bag.

WarEagleEd
11-01-2013, 06:32 AM
While I am not OCD, I do like to quantify things. Therefore, I do count them for my own benefit, no out of distrust of the sender. I also count what I am sending out and usually list exact numbers for different manufacturers within a lot of brass.

Ed