PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with crimped primer pockets?

Mbaker78
09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
The cases I do are in relatively low volume, so I just use a lyman VLD chamfer tool to remove the ridge left from crimping... As I end up with more and more military brass I'm debating a tool made for swaging primer pockets... Any suggestions?

WarEagleEd
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Like you, I use a couple of Lyman primer pocket reamers, depending on primer size. If I had tons of military brass I would probably get a Dillon Super Swage 600. I've only heard good things about it.

Ed

gandog56
09-03-2013, 01:22 PM
RCBS primer pocket swager, because I got them on sale and the Dillon costs too much. Carpal Tunnel kind of prevents me from reaming them out.

ZmanWakeForest
09-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Like you, I use a couple of Lyman primer pocket reamers, depending on primer size. If I had tons of military brass I would probably get a Dillon Super Swage 600. I've only heard good things about it.

Ed

Get the SUPER SWAGE! Well worth the money! I have the RCBS for the press too, but that is a pain in the A$$ if you have 1000 to do!

jebsca
09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Get the SUPER SWAGE! Well worth the money! I have the RCBS for the press too, but that is a pain in the A$$ if you have 1000 to do!

The RCBS works good for me. Its quick and easy. The pocket will accept a primer with no problems, and they hold a primer as well as any non crimped pockets.

Mbaker78
09-04-2013, 04:25 AM
I don't even use an actual primer pocket reamer, the VLD chamfer tool seems to be the easiest and leaves a very good angle making the primer go in easily (haven't had any pop out or anything, either). The super swage looks a bit to speedy for me at this point... Maybe sometime in the future though

don3
09-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Have the dillon and the RCBS, use dillon for large amounts, other for a few, both work well for there intended use.

MRBACKHAND
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
I also suffer from carpal tunnel and even having surgeries in both hands it was no fun cleaning the primer pockets so the best money invested was for the rcbs prep center . I bought it from midway USA and after discounts and rebates i payed 120$ shipped best 120 spent so far and the pain in my hands are no longer there ... Good luck

Mbaker78
04-30-2014, 03:47 AM
I ended up getting a super swage a couple months ago... Right about the time I bought 1000 once fired FC 223 (all crimped, of course) for a very good price... Once set up it did make easy work of the pockets, but I did over-swage 100 or so cases that are now suffering prematurely from loose primer pockets...

I'd have to say that the super swage was well worth the $103 I payed for it from www.grafs.com

gandog56
04-30-2014, 06:13 AM
I've always wanted the Dillon swager, but they're so darned expensive!

Mbaker78
05-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I've always wanted the Dillon swager, but they're so darned expensive!

I'm surprised you don't already have one. With the volume of brass that you seem to have it would be worth the money.

I broke one of my connecting links on a lee single stage press with the RCBS swage dies... Did about 120 cases total, couldn't get the desired amount of swage, then I look down at the press and saw a big crack through one of the links... Gave me an excuse to order a few spare parts that I wanted though.

MDphotographer
05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
I also suffer from carpal tunnel and even having surgeries in both hands it was no fun cleaning the primer pockets so the best money invested was for the rcbs prep center . I bought it from midway USA and after discounts and rebates i payed 120$ shipped best 120 spent so far and the pain in my hands are no longer there ... Good luck

I also use the RCBS case prep center for removing the crimp on primer pockets good tool worth the money

gandog56
05-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Right now lack of a bench to mount it. I mean I'm reloading using the Lee hand press right now.

Mbaker78
05-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I've debated getting one of those just to have it, I'm sure it would come in handy