PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell??????

gandog56
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I go to the brass trading forum, and the first entire page is taken up by stuff having NOTHING to do with brass. Is our old friend 15bvcmlk, with the inane gibberish posts bombarding this board using 20 different user names? I notice ALL the posts have user names that are mostly numbers. Can nothing be done about this bum?

ricky
08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't think this site can handle the amount of spam its getting.

ricky
08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
looks like the attack stop for now.

WarEagleEd
08-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Someone is spamming the forums.

Ed

gandog56
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, but all these bogus posts need to be deleted,

gandog56
08-22-2013, 06:41 PM
looks like the attack stop for now.

Nope, another one just opened about 10 minutes ago. And its worse than I thought. He took over the first TEN pages of the brass trading forum.

WarEagleEd
08-22-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't remember the process for registering here, but I assume it is like most other forums and web sites that require accounts, they have a system built in that eliminates "bots" from registering and then spamming (remember "type the phrase" and the goofy pair of words when registering?). Looks like someone is manually registering and then running some sort of bot to produce copious amounts of posts in an attempt to crash the server (I guess) and deny access to this forum. It is possible that someone has dispensed with registering altogether and just hacked into the system and is producing a bunch of posts either manually or automatically.

Ed

tawastom
08-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Something needs to be done, the site is almost useless.

tawastom
08-23-2013, 02:16 AM
bump for mods

Pull the trigger
08-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Right now the site is useless

tawastom
08-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Right now the site is useless

yes it needs a lockdown, then a cleanup. I will say this, someone needs to look at the automated registration system

WarEagleEd
08-23-2013, 05:58 AM
someone needs to look at the automated registration system

That they do, it has been seriously compromised.

Gunload Master
08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Posts have been deleted.. We had a good SPAM attack yesterday sorry fellas.. I have a lot of options in place to take these people down, but it can be a full time job.

Taylor3006
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
They are very annoying, never sure what spammers hope to accomplish with those kinds of attacks... It's tuff to blame the websites under attack, especially if it's run by an all volunteer group. Saying this website is useless because it's under a spam attack is pretty much saying your car is worthless because it gets a flat tire. Crap happens, it's the digital age and very computer literate people get their jollies by pissing off the rest of us. Don't let them get under your skin.

I do have a question for one of the admin types though. I work nites and noticed the first wave of spams and just started marking the forums as read. This would have been around 2 or 3 am CST. Is there any way that any "normal" postings that were done during the attack, can be marked as unread by y'all? Assuming of course someone posted something real during that time frame.

WarEagleEd
08-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Taylor3006: I was on last night around 9:00ish CST and again this morning and there had been maybe 3 new threads and all of them about the spam I believe, and maybe a few other comments on existing threads. I don't think you missed much.

Gunload Master: It looks like nothing ever happened this afternoon. It must have been a pain to remove all those threads, because it was pages upon pages of them. Thank you for your time and effort.

Ed

Taylor3006
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks WarEagle, I am always afraid I am gonna miss something good!

Gunload Master, I apologize for my failure to thank you for your work cleaning up the mess. Please accept my belated gratitude to you and those who help keeping up the board. I really enjoy ABT and Cast Boolits, y'all do great work.

tawastom
08-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Just curious, is Gunload Master the only moderator for this site? if so thats a lot of work!, I use this site a LOT and would have no problem contributing a monetary donation to help with costs or time to help if needed.

DukeInFlorida
08-23-2013, 03:34 PM
No, Gunload Master is NOT the only MOD for this site. However, the other MODs (I being one of them) have limited abilities to lock out IP ranges, etc. I can only delete threads and ban user names. Taking the more drastic actions requires Gunload Master's intervention.

jebsca
08-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Duke and Gunload master, thanks for the work. It couldn't have been easy. Glad to see the flat tire was fixed, so we can see who has what brass to trade today.

tawastom
08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
No, Gunload Master is NOT the only MOD for this site. However, the other MODs (I being one of them) have limited abilities to lock out IP ranges, etc. I can only delete threads and ban user names. Taking the more drastic actions requires Gunload Master's intervention.

I meant no disrespect, I think the site does a great job, just trying to offer help.

gandog56
08-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Yep, if this keeps up, Gunload Master needs to appoint someone to help him.

DukeInFlorida
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
EVERYONE...........

Please stop posting the endless complaints about the spammers. The complains are starting to look almost as bad as the spam messages.

We are doing our best to deal with them.

Please stop posting the complaints. We know when a spam hits. We're on it as soon as we can.

R.Ph. 380
09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Ha, Spamming the spam preventers. Dang, going over to the brass trading forum see if anybody wants my 10 MM nickeled brass

Bill

gandog56
09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Ha, Spamming the spam preventers. Dang, going over to the brass trading forum see if anybody wants my 10 MM nickeled brass

Bill

I would! I love nickel plated unlike a lot of reloaders! What you need for a trade?

R.Ph. 380
09-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Just about anything in the 308 line, 30-30, 308, 30 carbine anything thrown in a padded envelop and sent. However many you can spare for this little of a trade. Send me your address by pm and I'll ship.

Bill

Mbaker78
09-07-2013, 04:01 AM
I would! I love nickel plated unlike a lot of reloaders! What you need for a trade?

Why do they dislike nickel? I think they make beautiful ammo...

jebsca
09-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Why do they dislike nickel? I think they make beautiful ammo...

The ammo looks very good, and can be easyer to find on the ground. I have had people tell me that it is harder on dies. I have only ran a few 1000 in my dies, so I don't know, but it looks like it is working fine to me. Just know that some people will not take them and some people will give you less for a trade with them.

Taylor3006
09-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I am with Mbaker, I like nickel as well. I generally save it to reload "premium" self defense or hunting rounds where it is not getting reloaded too often. I found that reloading them as plinking rounds made them flake and generally lose their plating. I now reload only brass for my "everyday shooting" rounds, they seem to hold up better to lots of reloading at least appearance wise.

DukeInFlorida
09-07-2013, 04:01 PM
This thread was originally about the issues with Spammers.
We have that somewhat under control.
I am closing the thread.

I would urge you to create a new thread for the purpose of discussing nickle plated brass. I would love to add to that discussion.

This thread is closed, however.