PDA

View Full Version : how do you store your ammo?

jebsca
08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I have been getting the 100 round plasic boxes for the smaller stuff, 45 colt and the like, as well as 223, and the 50 round boxes for the bigger stuff like the 500 and 7.62. As I prep the brass, I put it into a box with a sticky note as to what is in the box, and what has been done. When its done, it gets a new note that tellsa me what bullet and powder I have, as well as OAL.

Pull the trigger
08-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Mayo and peanut butter jars. I like them better than the shell boxes. No idea how much is in them though.

ricky
08-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I store most my loose ammo in ammo can, 30 cal and 50 cal cans works for me. I try to buy my 7.62 x 39mm ammo in spam cans or in Military sealed crates (Yugo 67). The loose ammo in cans is what I shoot and fill them when needed.

Mbaker78
08-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Any of my brass goes into baggies through the various stages of prep. All loaded ammo goes into a box of some sort. Pistol ammo goes into a reused commercial box with a label if possible, 308 and some 223 goes into plastic reloaded boxes, most of my 223 goes on stripper clips and into a bandolier though as its a lot easier to load an AR magazine that way.

jebsca
08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Any of my brass goes into baggies through the various stages of prep. All loaded ammo goes into a box of some sort.

I use the baggies too. One it has been cleaned, I will sort by headstamp intot he baggies. If I have boxes for the brass, then it goes into the boxes as I work it. If it is a caliber that I am just starting with, it may get a bit farther down the line before I have a box for it.

Taylor3006
08-13-2013, 07:42 AM
I pick up the empty ammo boxes at the range then make my own label for them. The nice sturdy plastic trays in the boxes are my favorites. They then get stashed in ammo cans. The plastic ammo boxes are just too pricey for me. I take all the empty boxes that are in decent shape and fill them with the appropriate brass in those calibers I don't reload. Figured would make life easier when I go to sell or trade them.

rodnocker1
08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally, I had got a bunch of the plastic boxes from Cabela's using my Cabela's Bucks. Then I found the styrofoam and cardboard ones that Midway carrys and got ALOT of those. But here lately, I've been picking up those factory boxes like Taylor. I'd been getting the plastic and foam inserts but tossing the cardboard boxes but now I keep them all if the boxes are in good shape. When the LE around here shoot, I can pick up several cases worth of new boxes.

WarEagleEd
08-15-2013, 07:06 AM
I store my ammo (commercial and reloaded) in mil surp and MTM ammo cans and throw some dessicant in with them to absorb any moisture.

My reloads end up in MTM ammo boxes. I don't seem to have any of the original boxes in which the ammo came (I collected my brass for years before I started reloading).

Spent brass I store in plastic containers (like what the Hilshire Farm sandwich meat comes in) or Ziploc bags.

Ed

Mbaker78
08-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I work in an injection molding shop, so we make the perfect containers to take to the range to hold collected brass, I collected a few of them over the years and now have one for each caliber I reload to hold unloaded brass, plus a couple for mixed brass and another to take to the range... The foot shelf on my bench almost reminds me of work, not sure if that's good or bad ;)

jebsca
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I work in an injection molding shop, so we make the perfect containers to take to the range to hold collected brass, I collected a few of them over the years and now have one for each caliber I reload to hold unloaded brass, plus a couple for mixed brass and another to take to the range... The foot shelf on my bench almost reminds me of work, not sure if that's good or bad ;)

That is the best I've seen yet. I like the factory boxes, but it only takes me a few uses to mess the boxes up. Everything else I have liked cost money. Sounds to me like you are getting the good stuff for cheap.

Mbaker78
08-15-2013, 08:03 PM
These are heavy duty boxes, 14"x8"x7" with a folding 2 piece lid, most commonly used in automotive manufacturing... They're not too easy to break ;)

1blue
08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I use 30 cal ammo cans. The 50cals are too heavy for me. I also just use the 50s for camping gear, etc. I like that they are water tight.

Shooterontheline
09-02-2013, 10:02 AM
All of my brass is stored in individual plastic containers (12x8x5) under my bench. Each container has a label in the end with the manufacturers name, what calibre and what stage that box is in (I.e. non-tumbled, ready to load etc.)
The loaded stuff is put into boxes and trays tossed out at the range. I match up the headstamps and calibre in each for easy id. Works for me.

gandog56
09-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I buy the styrofoam and plain white cardboard cases from Midway for all my reloads.. Plenty of room to write what caliber, load, grain bullets. type bullets, etc.. They come in different sizes for different calibers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/314443/cb-01-ammo-box-with-styrofoam-tray-25-acp-380-acp-9mm-luger-50-round-cardboard-white-box-of-25