PDA

View Full Version : Lee Quick Trim

Mbaker78
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Has anyone tried the newest tool from Lee precision, supposed to ease and speed up the trimming process...

I picked one of the "deluxe" versions that deburrs and chamfers as it trims along with the dies for 223rem and 308win and thus far I'm much less than impressed with it. It seems to only take a couple thousandths off of any case, regardless of how long it was to start with and half the time the cases still have burrs on them. Even the few I do manage to get trimmed and deburred take me at least 3 times longer than using the zip trim and case length gauge setup...

If anyone has used any of these with any good effect, maybe I'm doing something wrong or there are some pointers on its use...

Input would be appreciated.

cdu357
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I pick one up for a 270 win and trimmed, deburred and chamfered about 150 cases in 60 minutes.

Mbaker78
08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Can you actually feel it cutting when you trim?

gandog56
08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I just use the Lee 3 jaw chuck for a ZIP Trimmer in my power drill, and the Lee lock stud cutters and bullet guides. That way it only cost me a new guide for any caliber I want to trim. (About $5 a new caliber)

Mbaker78
08-11-2013, 04:42 AM
I just use the Lee 3 jaw chuck for a ZIP Trimmer in my power drill, and the Lee lock stud cutters and bullet guides. That way it only cost me a new guide for any caliber I want to trim. (About $5 a new caliber)

That's pretty much what I did after realizing that the quick trim wasn't any quicker, it was actually a lot slower and less effective for me... I might break down and buy the spinner bit for the drill, but in the meantime I'm doing pretty well with the zip trim. Sized and trimmed 150 223 cases in just over an hour the other night with most of them needing at least a cursory trim, some took off a noticeable amount though.

gandog56
08-11-2013, 06:15 AM
I just did like almost 300 .270 Win cases. About 90% of them required the trimming.

jebsca
08-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I just did like almost 300 .270 Win cases. About 90% of them required the trimming.

What did you use and how long did it take?

Sorry about that. After looking back, I see that you said you were using the zip trim. I still would like to know how long it took to do the 270.

gandog56
08-14-2013, 05:53 AM
What did you use and how long did it take?

Sorry about that. After looking back, I see that you said you were using the zip trim. I still would like to know how long it took to do the 270.

OK, this goes on my electric drill.

This is the cutter
http://leeprecision.com/images/T/xctmpo8tcqX.png

This is the bullet guide, I don't use the shellholder, that's what the three jaw chuck is for.

I didn't time myself, but I bet it was done in 1-2 hours. And I was watching TV while doing it.

jebsca
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
I've been using the same setup except for the 3 jaw chuck. It works quick and easy. I had been turning the case by hand, and it would take me most of an evening to do a few hundred cases.

Mbaker78
08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I have a zip trim to spin the cases instead of the drill, but its basically the same setup, just not as many RPM's.

On a side note, anyone interested in a slightly used quick trim and dies for 223 and 308? :p